Note: Oxtail is much more flavoursome if cooked 24 hours before serving to allow different flavours to develop.
Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius and use a large oven proof dish for the entire cooking process.
- 2 kg Oxtail well trimmed of fat
- 4 Onions medium sliced of medium chopped
- 2, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic depending on the intensity of flavour
- 2-3 Bay leaves dried or 4-5 fresh off the tree
- Bouquet garni of fresh herbs of choice
- 6-8 Juniper berries slightly crushed optional
- 500 ml beef stock preferable home made
- 500 ml Red wine or Port
- Good salt and Pepper to taste
- Worcestershire Sauce to taste at end of cooking
- Light olive Oil
- Packet of beef or Ox Tail soup
- 400 g button mushrooms
- Lightly brown oxtail pieces in olive oil and allow to drain on paper towel
- (Add a couple of chopped carrots and celery to add more flavour, maybe removed or left in depending on taste)
- Soften garlic and onion in remaining oil, careful not to over brown.
- Add Bay leaves, Juniper berries, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add either soup mix or some plain flour
- Cook briefly then add Wine or port
- This will thicken so add stock and keep stirring
- Once ingredients have been incorporated add browned ox tail
- Cover the casserole with greaseproof paper, foil and lid
- Cook for 3-4 hours or until meat is just clinging to the bone
- Refrigerate and serve 24 hours later, check seasoning and add cooked mushrooms just before serving